IRRECONCILABLE DIFFERENCES UPDATE! TRADED

Lowetide
December 19 2013 05:00PM

It could happen as soon as today (the trade deadline is tonight at midnight, after that no deals until Christmas past), but it's clear Linus Omark is once again hell bent on bolting the Oilers organization. A marriage that has always been uneasy appears to have reached the point where reconciliation is impossible.

An article by Michael Baldwin in the Oklahoman spells things out with so many specifics the mind boggles. After reading his entry on Omark I am convinced this deal may come down tonight. An example:

• Edmonton isn't a good fit for Omark. The Oilers have several young, highly skilled forwards. But his stock could be on the rise. A couple of teams reportedly are interested. The past two months with the Barons, he's shown noticeable improvement on the defensive end.

If the story is true, we might be hearing something in the next few hours. Mr. Baldwin suggests the return expected might be an AHL player or a pick, which makes sense. I also think there's a chance Edmonton might take back a useful player with a bad contract if that player addressed a current need (two-way winger, defense) if it was necessary. It is extremely likely Edmonton would prefer to lose the contract and further reduce the number of the 50-man list (now at 48).

HE HAS NO VALUE, FOOL!

Well, there certainly has been a lot of disagreement about Omark, but he's played in the league and there may be a window of opportunity for him. Elliotte Friedman framed the issue nicely in this week's 30 Thoughts:

• Edmonton is trying to trade AHLer Linus Omark, who deserves a shot at the NHL level and isn't going to get it with the Oilers. This is pure speculation on my part, but Buffalo makes sense. The Sabres are on a pace to score 137 goals. The last time a team scored fewer? Chicago in 1953-54, with 133 in 70 games. Twelve teams bettered that in lockout-shortened 1995. Last year? Eight. Omark's not a cure, but it's a sensible gamble, no?

Now, we'll see, but at least someone is talking about it being possible aside from Jon Willis and me. I think Omark has the ability to play in the NHL, but other clubs have their own prospects lined up and I'm not certain how many would be willing to take a chance on him. It only takes one, and chances are his agent has been working hard to make it happen.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Omark needs an expansion draft, but he'll have to make do with a trade. Which could come down tonight.

(Omark photo by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)

Update! Edmonton Oilers have traded Linus Omark to the Buffalo Sabres for a conditional 6th round pick in the 2014 draft. Sail on, Linus. Godspeed.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#101 outdoorzguy
December 20 2013, 10:07AM
Wonger wrote:

MacTavish is a man of integrity. He promised Omark he would move him if things didn't work out in Edmonton and he kept his promise! Three spots open on 50 man roster - things will start to gey better very soon! MacTavish and Eakins are men of integrity! I believe in the Oilers because I believe in them.

"Things will start to get better soon"? Been hearing that for about the last dozen years!! Don't get too excited.

#102 Oiltimer
December 20 2013, 10:27AM
cheers

real hard to separate the truly witty sarcasm from the simple innocent. Where is the f**in'hockey team !!!!!!!!!

#103 Rotten Ron
December 20 2013, 10:28AM
Kent Wilson wrote:

If your only purpose here is to run persistently down the writers, I'll have to show you the door.

run persistently

#104 Ducey
December 20 2013, 10:36AM
Spydyr wrote:

A 6th round pick is not a miracle.

If the condition is met, it will be.

#105 Quicksilver ballet
December 20 2013, 10:43AM
michael wrote:

The other comparable for us long time Oilers fans would be Ray Whitney. he once upon a time was an Oiler. Only has player 1000+ games in the NHL and won a Cup and kills us all the time.

Doan? Ottawa? Is Hemsky done after the Christmas break? What is the return? Is it possible the Oilers trade Hemsky to the Rangers for Del Zotto?

If the deal is that this a lost season. If. Would you trade Gagner to Toronto for Jake Gardiner. Sam needs a change of scenery whether he believes it or not.He needs a fresh start without the ghosts of the past.

We all seem to forget the term, "Unless someone blows you away with an offer" when it comes to a trade these days. Many here are quick to write off any possibility.

With another top 3 coming in June, it presents another opportunity to try and upgrade the blueline. With that term in mind, the Oil might have access to what was perceived to be an untouchable. We might not be permitted access to a Shea Weber, but I'd sure explore a top pairing type in waiting like a Gudbranson, or take a chance on Myers. That top 3, along with maybe Marincin, could land you Myers. Sabres might be anxious to have the top 2 picks in this upcoming draft. You'd still have Yakupov and Klefbom left to try and get Gudbranson, maybe kick in one of those draft picks the Oilers get for Hemsky or Schultz.

Gagner, yes I would do that deal. Addition by subtraction in this case. Just get him gone, getting Gardiner would just be a bonus in doing so.

#106 Tikkanese
December 20 2013, 10:58AM
Spydyr wrote:

A 6th round pick is not a miracle.

When most everyone said he wasn't worth anything and the fact that he cleared waivers, it is somewhat a miracle. Horcoff and Labarbera situations were similar and also somewhat miracles, if not all flat out miracles.

#107 Josh Oiler to G Bear (BIG POO in his pants)
December 20 2013, 11:16AM
** wrote:

I will explain this as delicately as I possibly can:

Fresh mess is what we in the internetz call a troll, a hideous entity who feeds off poor naive souls like you by laying bait that is designed to push your buttons and elicit an angry response.

That's about it I guess. Welcome to the internetz.

G BEAR(poo) is what we call an IDIOT! He's so stupid he don't even know he's stupid! Duh, that's about it I guess! Duh!

#108 Fresh Mess
December 20 2013, 11:22AM
Josh Oiler to G Bear (BIG POO in his pants) wrote:

Thanks bud! Couldn't have said it better myself. G bear (poo....in pants)! lmao! Go Oilers!

#109 Spydyr
December 20 2013, 11:27AM
Tikkanese wrote:

A miracle would be the Oilers making the playoffs.Dealing Omark for a bag of pucks does not qualify as a miracle.

#110 Joe Mamma
December 20 2013, 11:36AM
CMG30 wrote:

I'm not sure you've been paying attention.

Since Schremp was claimed off waivers by NY, he flunked out there as well and was eventually waived again. He was then picked up by Atlanta but was not offered a qualifying contract when Atlanta moved to Winnipeg. No one else wanted to waste their time on him so he has been playing in Europe since June 2012.

As difficult as it is to hear: Schremp is not good enough to be a regular in the NHL. Omark was trending the same and for a number of reasons was highly unlikely to re-sign with Edmonton. Good on MacT to get even a bag of pucks for him.

Good lord, I'm not sure you're paying attention... It was s-a-r-c-a-s-m.

But thanks for giving us all the history lesson on Schremp.

Yes. That was sarcasm as well, in case you're confused.

#111 Joe Mamma
December 20 2013, 11:44AM
cheers

So this is what being an Oiler fan has become? Ad-nauseum discussion about size in the top six, #1 d-men that we will never get, and the merits of one-dimensional dwarves like Omark. Mix in a hearty helping of ridicule from around the league, flames and canucks trolls all over our boards and facebook pages, and all the while Katz & Co fiddling while the team burns. Oh and we're building him an arena for it.

I am about ready to just close my eyes on this whole fiasco. Wake me when the Oilers make the playoffs again.

#112 Fresh Mess
December 20 2013, 11:49AM
Fresh Mess wrote:

Impostor.

#113 Fresh Mess
December 20 2013, 12:11PM
Fresh Mess wrote:

If you're really me then tell me what I'm thinking of having for lunch.....can't do it? That's what I thought.

Just got a text from my source. Says MacT working on a minor league deal. Looks like Ryan Hamilton will be bundled with Curtis Hamilton and sent to Hamilton. In return OKC receives former NCAA sensation F Ed Strathcona.

#114 Bob Cobb
December 20 2013, 01:02PM
cheers

Glad Omark is finally gone, the only people who wanted him here were the same people that thought Robbie Schremp had game.

Good riddance Linus, enjoy the AHL!

#115 Zarny
December 20 2013, 01:07PM
Quicksilver ballet wrote:

Pick could be 1-8th. I'd want more than Myers but that is exactly the right kind of thinking.

MacT needs to think big. And I wouldn't assume anything about access. A lot depends on circumstance.

If Nsh tanks I'd call about Weber and Jones. I'd call Chi about Keith or Seabrook. If Ott tanks I'd call about Karlsson. I'd facetime with Bergevin every week to hear about Subban's contract. If Pit goes out early in the playoffs I'd call about Letang. Same thing with LA or Det with Doughty or Kronwall. I'd call StL about Pietrangelo too.

Yak/Eberle and top 3 pick might get you some conversations especially if the pick is Ekblad.

If not start working your way down the list. McDonagh, Girardi, Phaneuf, Ekman-Larsson, Beauchemin, Yandle, Brodin, Campbell, Voynov, Byfuglien, Bieksam, Ehrhoff, Coburn, Bogosian. This is probably MacT's sweet spot.

A recent pick like Grudbranson doesn't gain you much over using the pick.

#116 CMG30
December 20 2013, 01:55PM
Joe Mamma wrote:

Good lord, I'm not sure you're paying attention... It was s-a-r-c-a-s-m.

But thanks for giving us all the history lesson on Schremp.

Yes. That was sarcasm as well, in case you're confused.

I apologize for offending you. I didn't see any evidence of sarcasm in your original post, just ignorance. Again I'm soooooooo sorry. Opps, did that come across as sarcastic?

#117 james_dean
December 20 2013, 03:29PM

WWhat will arco fetch?

5th round?

Bulls eye bbq sauce = bold

#118 manuel
December 20 2013, 07:13PM
cheers

what about nail for evander kane

Comments are closed for this article.